About WESSA Membership: Founded by a small group of concerned citizens in 1883, WESSA was formally established as the Wildlife Society in 1926. As WESSA (Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa), we continue to be a membership-supported organisation and throughout South Africa, our members initiate environmental projects and organise educational events and activities in their local communities. By joining WESSA, you will be helping to provide valuable support for these volunteer initiatives and will be part of a growing environmental network operating at a local community level via our branches, partners, business members, affiliates and friends groups.
We offer the following categories of membership, each with different options from which to choose.
We also have a free Supporter level with an optional donation.
EFT │ DIRECT DEPOSIT: Bank account details for direct payments.
Deposit reference: Name + MB number if an existing member.
Account: WESSA Membership
Bank: First National Bank
Branch & Number: Howick 22-07-25
Account Number: 62 219 969 732
Swift Code: FIRN ZA JJ
EARTH CARER GENERAL MEMBERSHIP
Announcing our new digital African Wildlife & Environment: To reduce our impact on the environment and the increasingly high costs of printing and posting thousands of magazines, African Wildlife & Environment is now available in a digital format. As such, we have introduced new membership options that include African Wildlife as an online flip-page magazine PLUS an easy-to-read, scroll down, printable version in a PDF format. Members subscribed to printed copies of African Wildlife and EnviroKids will continue to receive these but may opt for the new, more affordable digital option at any stage. Please note that EnviroKids is not yet available in a digital format.
Earth carer members receive:
- Letter of acknowledgement & membership card
- Full web portal access
- According to level subscribed to, quarterly in-house magazines (digital or printed)
- Activity newsflashes & e-newsletters
- S18A Tax Receipt issued for donations
Earth Carer special sponsors receive: All of the above benefits plus complimentary print issues of African Wildlife & EnviroKids; S18A Tax Receipt; Certificate of Appreciation; Acknowledgement of support on the WESSA web portal.
Earth Carer supporters receive: Letter of Acknowledgment │ Limited web portal access │ Activity newsflashes & newsletters
Extra magazines can be added to any membership option. Prices are as follows:
- PRINTED: Less 20% on cover price, quarterly African Wildlife R240.00 p. annum │ quarterly EnviroKids R160.00 p. annum.
- DIGITAL: African Wildlife R100.00 for 4 magazines per annum. EnviroKids is not yet available in a digital format.
As a non-profit environmental organisation we rely on the support of our members, sponsors and the general public. As such, we are most grateful for any additional donation you are able to give. WESSA is a Section 21 company registered as an Incorporated Association not for gain with Section 18A status.
2018-19 Earth Carer general membership BASIC OR WITH DIGITAL MAGAZINE
2018-19 Earth Carer General Membership WITH PRINTED MAGAZINES
Schools and other educational institutions qualify for special discounted membership packages which include the following benefits:
- Combo print copy African Wildlife and EnviroKids (3 options)
- Use of the WESSA School Member logo on signboards, websites and other materials such as letterheads and brochures
- Full portal access
- Newsletters and activity newsflashes
- Learners, teachers and parents qualify for a reduced rate should they wish to become WESSA members.
- Extra magazines can be added to any of the option at the following discounted price for WESSA members:
African Wildlife R240.00 p. annum │ EnviroKids R160.00 p. annum.
Invest in the sustainability of our country
WESSA Business Membership consists of an annual membership fee and a contribution in support of WESSA’s work. There are five levels from which to choose, with the level determined by the amount of the contribution. We also have a range of ways to customise your membership to cater for special requirements and projects. This includes group membership for staff and participants in projects as well as whatever assistance we can give towards special day community action and sustainability initiatives in your company.
The membership fee provides the following benefits:
- Membership subscription
- WESSA business member logo according to the level of membership subscribed to
- Certificate of Acknowledgement
- Acknowledgement of support on the WESSA website and in the WESSA Annual Review
- Full portal access
- Quarterly issues of WESSA’s in-house magazines, African Wildlife & Environment and EnviroKids
- E-newsletters and activity newsflashes
- Staff of business members can sign up as free WESSA supporters to receive newsletters and newsflashes about events and activities. They also qualify for a reduced group rate should they wish to become full Wessa Members.
Platinum to Bronze Levels: A tax invoice is issued for the membership fee of R 1 500 and a Section 18A Tax Certificate for the contribution amount (see details above.) If preferred, a tax invoice can be issued for the full amount.
Small Business Level: A contribution is optional but any donation in support of WESSA’s work will be very much appreciated. This can be added to the membership fee and a Section 18A Tax Certificate will be issued. If preferred, a tax invoice can be issued for the full amount.
Add-on magazine subscriptions: Extra African Wildlife & Environment or EnviroKids magazines can be added at a discounted price for members as follows: African Wildlife R240.00 p. annum │ EnviroKids R160.00 p. annum.
NOTE: Levels 01 – 04 receive additional free magazines according to level.
WESSA is a Section 21 Company registered as an Incorporated Association not for gain WESSA is an accredited facilitator of Socio Economic Development and more than 89% of the direct beneficiaries of WESSA’s projects are Black South African citizens as defined by current B-BBEE legislation.
Friends & Affiliates Membership
Caring for the Earth in your Community
About Friends Groups: The Friends Groups concept is a WESSA initiative which began in the Western Cape in the early 1980s. In 1985, the ‘Friends of Nature Areas’ project was established with the objective of involving the public in safeguarding natural resources and working with the owners or managing authorities towards this end. At first, the scheme focussed only on nature reserves but later became a widely used model applied to any area that needed protection and support, including historical heritage sites.
Friends Groups affiliated to WESSA encourage collaborative citizen efforts in caring for the Earth. Friends are volunteers who band together to conserve, rehabilitate or prevent inappropriate developments in natural or semi-natural areas or places of special interest. These areas can be large formalised nature areas or small informal pockets of terrestrial and/or aquatic environments in various states of conservation worthiness.
WESSA has years of environmental experience and can help provide networking opportunities plus exposure through channels such as: newsletters; national publications; the WESSA membership web portal; Facebook pages and other social media channels. Affiliation allows an affiliated Friends Group or organisation to use WESSA’s name and logo on signboards, websites and other materials such as letterheads and brochures. This can help raise the profile and credentials of the group, which assists with fundraising efforts. A Friends Groups Handbook is available to help in the setting up of new groups and provide guidance for existing ones.
Affiliation to WESSA of independent environmental groups or organisations: Independent, environment-based, non-profit organisations with the same or similar aims as those of Friends Groups may become affiliate members of WESSA, thus strengthening the conservation movement. Groups caring for monuments, sites of historical, archaeological or cultural importance, and other similar, community-based initiatives may also apply to become affiliate members.
WESSA Friends Group and Affiliate members qualify for:
- Use of an affiliate member logo
- Full portal access
- Quarterly print copy editions of African Wildlife and EnviroKids magazines
- Newsletters and activity newsflashes.
- Members of affiliates can sign up as free WESSA supporters to receive newsletters and newsflashes about events and activities. They also qualify for a reduced group rate should they wish to become full Wessa Members.